If you are experiencing inefficient cooling, more noise, and higher power bills from your air conditioning system, then there are chances that it is overworked.
You may need to take some load off the air conditioner’s compressor.There are several simple things that you can do to give some respite to the compressor of your air conditioner.
Extending the Life of Your Air Conditioning System
By taking care of these things, you will not only relieve the compressor of stress and help it work better, but you will also be able to bring down the power bills and extend the life of your air conditioning system.
- The foremost thing that you need to do is to maintain your equipment well. You will need to hire a professional HVAC company to carry out preventive maintenance on your air conditioner. This will improve cooling, increase energy efficiency, and save the compressor from burn out.
- You should also ensure that the external unit of the air conditioner is clean and that there is no debris stuck between the fans. In case it is dirty or clogged, the compressor will have to work harder to do its job of cooling your home.
- Another important thing that you need to do to save the compressor from overworking is to clean and replace the air filters regularly. This will improve air circulation and keep the system working smoothly and efficiently.
- During the day, keep the window curtains or blinds drawn so that no sunlight enters your room and creates unnecessary heat. Higher internal temperature would mean that the compressor will have to work harder.
- If the ducts are leaking, you should call your HVAC Company to seal the duct work. Leaky duct work leads to air loss, and the compressor has to bear extra stress.
- Avoid using appliances such as dishwashers and ovens during the day as they create unnecessary heat.
- Ensure proper insulation of all areas including doors and windows, so that cool air does not escape outside and warm air from outside does not enter the house.
- A programmable thermostat can help take stress off the compressor during cooler times of the day and when no one is in the house.
- Try giving some rest to your air conditioning and use ceiling fans when it is not too hot outside.
As we discussed earlier, the single most important thing that you can do to help your air conditioner is to conduct periodic maintenance. Contact Engineered Solutions at (314) 394-0802. We will ensure that the air conditioning system is working at its peak capacity without eating up on too much power. During maintenance we will be able to detect if the compressor is getting overworked and will suggest ways to overcome the stress. Preventive maintenance combined with your own efforts can go a long way in helping you get the best out of your air conditioning system.
Photo credit: en.wikipedia.org