Having your furnace fail during winter months in St. Louis is not something you want to have happen.
Fortunately, there are things you can do to avoid that and to prepare for needing the extra heat.
Keeping your HVAC system functioning and saving money on repairs hinges a lot on how much preventative maintenance you have done. Running the heat all the time is going to tax the system. So a little preparation can avoid the system going out at an inopportune moment. With the right preventative maintenance, no matter what type of heating system you use – electric, oil, propane, heat pump, natural gas – you can keep it going strong all winter long.
Types of HVAC Maintenance
At Engineered Solutions Heating and Air Conditioning we can perform maintenance on any type of heating system. Here is a list of some of the things that can be done to make sure your heating system is reliable all winter long.
Natural Gas Furnace:
- Replace the air filters.
- Check gas pressure and piping for leaks, and support.
- Inspect the blower. Blower belts should be replaced once a year.
- Inspect the condition of blower bearings and lubricate, check the blower motor and lubricate.
- Do a basic brush-clean of the heating elements and/or the heat exchanger.
- Test the operation of the heating system.
- Check the condition of the combustion blower.
- Check the pilot or ignition system.
- Check the heat exchanger.
- Check the thermostat and all operating controls.
- Tighten all electrical connections.
- Clean and check all grounded connections.
- Test by running through two complete heating cycles.
- Verify that the economizer dampers are set and operational.
- Heat pumps
- Replace air filters.
- Make sure thermostat is operating well.
- Replace the air filters, check thermostat and economizer operation.
- Replace the oil filter.
- Check for water in the tank.
- Replace the nozzle.
- Check the oil pump pressure.
- Adjust the combustion air.
- Check the heat exchanger.
- Check the oil pre-heater, if there is one installed.
- Check the operating and safety controls.
Just as you need regular maintenance preformed on your car, so too regular maintenance of your furnace is vital to it’s performance. Not only will this keep your system running all winter long but it will ensure that it is running as efficiently as possible.
St. Louis HVAC Maintenance
Having a properly working furnace is a necessity during the winter in St. Louis. If your system breaks down or is not performing at its optimum level, trust Engineered Solutions to repair your system. To prevent system failure, we also offer routine maintenance.
Whatever your heating, air conditioning or ventilation needs are, contact Engineered Solutions today at (314) 394-0802 or fill out our online contact form for a free estimate.